The Squeal

Freshman Survival Guide

How to Survive Your First Year of High School

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshman Survival Guide

Madison Hebert, Staff

High School either seems like a breeze or an extremely hard math equation. You think you have plenty of time to plan out your future and then you blink and it’s senior year. You’re either already ahead of the game and receiving acceptance letters from colleges or you’re wondering what more you could’ve done for yourself and your future. As a freshman it’s crucial to already know what’s in store for you and what you need to do for yourself to ensure your future wherever it may take you.

Get involved. As a Freshman you get to lay back for awhile before things get really serious for you. What better way to use your spare time than to get involved in a sport or club. When you get involved in extracurriculars it boosts your college resume. Clubs such as HOSA (for students interested in the medical field), Student Council, Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Teacher Cadets, Yearbook, or anything that peaks your interest are all good ways to get involved while also boosting the image of your resume. Resumes are very important and it’s vital to have things that set you aside from other candidates when the colleges go to review yours. Volunteer work is another way to single you out from everyone else. Volunteering at the local animal shelter, the soup kitchen, or doing things such as the color run will increase your volunteer hours and look fantastic when you apply for colleges.

Another essential thing to making it through your freshman year is to start worrying about your GPA now. Everything from this moment on goes on your transcript and any college you apply for can see it. You could have a perfect resume but a horrible GPA and it will affect your chances of a college accepting you greatly. Don’t assume that your GPA doesn’t matter because it matters a lot more than finding things to put on your college resume. Always remember your GPA is a deciding factor on whether or not you get accepted into the college you want. If you don’t know what your GPA is you can ask your counselor or check it online where you check your grades after every semester. It’s important to know the required GPA to get accepted into the colleges you’re interested in as well. According to PrepScholar.com the GPA for college bound students is higher than a 3.0. Typically, a GPA ranging from a 3.5 to a 4.0 is needed to get into top colleges. However, it is likely to gain acceptance into a less selective college with a 2.0 GPA.

As a freshman it’s also critical to start preparing yourself for the ACT. If there’s anything more important than your college resume and GPA it is your ACT score. Invest in an ACT prep booklet, or go to the counselor’s office and pick up the free booklet and pamphlets to educate yourself more on why the ACT is extremely important for your future. It’s never too early to get a head start on your future.

Academically, freshman year can be a handful, but it can also be a handful emotionally. It’s hard transitioning from junior high to high school, especially if you’re new. It’s important to know that it’s okay to ask for help. If you are having a hard time making friends it’s important to know that it’s okay to put yourself out there. Don’t miss out on the fun because you’re scared of what people will think of you or you’re scared you’ll embarrass yourself. High school is too short to worry about the negative thoughts and opinions of those around you. Always remember to stay true to yourself and have fun for you and only you.