The Squeal

Who’s to Judge?

Madison Stanley, Senior Staff Member

As I sit in my AP Comparative Government class, the Promethean board blares the news, embedding the topic into my mind: the investigation of Judge Kavanaugh. Although many teens remain unaware of the political goings-on in America and throughout the world, it is an important topic, not to mention a scandalous one. It is a topic that should not be ignored. So, as if I were a reality TV show recapping you on “the last episode of…”, let me explain to you this controversial scenario of which the aftermath could change our country for better or for worse.

One of the duties of the President of the United States is to appoint a Supreme Court Justice should one that is already on the Court get impeached, resign, retire, or pass away. In light of the recent retirement of Supreme Court Judge Anthony Kennedy, President Trump has nominated Brett Kavanaugh to take on this position as an Associate Justice. Kavanaugh will have the responsibility, along with the rest of the Court, to decide upon the pivotal constitutional cases that shape the United States. Judge Kavanaugh is an experienced attorney who is currently serving as United States Circuit Judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. He graduated from Yale College and is known for his conservative rulings and dissents in cases concerning abortion restrictions, the Affordable Care Act, environmental regulation, and other hot topics that have reached the courts on which he has served as both a clerk and judge alike. He has a wife and two daughters, and, up until his nomination, he seemed to be a relatively normal man. He seemed relatively normal, that is, until he was accused of sexual assault.

On September 16, 2018 a woman by the name of Christine Ford came forward claiming that Kavanaugh had sexually assaulted her at a party when they were in high school by contacting congresswoman Anna Eshoo and The Washington Post. She claims that he tried to force himself upon her after pushing her into a room cut-off from the rest of the party with the exception of the only eye-witness to the scene, Mark Judge, whom she claims partook in the inappropriate actions. After battling the idea whether or not to remain anonymous, 36 years later Ford has testified against Kavanaugh before the Senate Judiciary Committee after writing to Senator Dianne Feinstein, a ranking Democrat on the Committee herself. Kavanaugh, of course, has been consistently denying all allegations of such occurrence taking place, stating that the accusations are “totally false and outrageous”. One main piece of evidence supporting her testimony are a polygraph test, which she has passed. Along with this are notes from her therapist preceding her allegations that outline her report of the attack with specifications of the perpetrator being from an “elitist boys’ school” and going onto become a “highly respected and high-ranking member of society in Washington”. Ford is a respectable member of her community as well, working as a professor at Palo Alto University with degrees in experimental psychology, clinical psychology, educational psychology, and epidemiology.

As the investigation continues, both parties have been under immense pressure, with Kavanaugh’s reputation and character coming into question and Ford receiving death-threats, resulting in her having to relocate herself and her family. Politics during this time remain more turbulent than ever with Democrats and Republicans coming vehemently to the defense of both parties in attempt to forward their own, separate agendas for the country.