The Squeal

Your Guide to Staying Away From Stress This Holiday Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mica Chesshir, E.I.C

As the holiday season nears, it seems that life can get busier and busier. With school, work, finals, decorating, and buying gifts, it is easy for the holidays to become stressful. The holidays should be a time of celebration, joy, family, thankfulness, and love, so it is important to remember not to allow stress and work to rob you of fond memories and time with family. Whether you are carving pumpkins, drinking hot chocolate, eating your grandma’s favorite dressing, or singing along to Christmas music, the last thing you want is for all of the holiday expectations to overwhelm you. Here are some helpful tips for keeping your head on straight this holiday season.

First, stay organized by keeping lists and calendars of what all you have to do. This will help you spread out tasks, rather than waiting until the very last minute with everything piling up at once. This year, finals are in January. Yes, I know. This means having to use your brain during the two and a half week break. Although not fun, it will be even less fun to cram in all of your studying and homework the day before the school starts back. Enjoy the days of your break by knowing all that you have to accomplish and wisely spacing them out.

In addition, don’t put too many expectations on yourself by committing and volunteering for every holiday project. Be simple. Don’t feel obligated to give every single friend baked cookies and presents if you don’t need to. If it’s not in the right mindset, the last thing you want to be is a grumpy giver. It’s okay to say no. Don’t volunteer for everything that is suggested of you if you know it will stretch you too thin. You will be able to do a better job of whatever you do when not attempting to tackle a million different activities. If you are afraid of offending someone by saying no, let that person know that you want someone who will be able to give their effort to the task wholeheartedly. Don’t make promises that you will not be able to keep.

Lastly, enjoy yourself and the time you have with your family and friends. This may mean doing less, planning your time better, being more organized, and keeping the holidays simpler this year. Whatever works for you. Put yourself in the right mindset to do things the smart way this year. Know your limits and what you can handle. This way, during this chilly, festive time, you will be able to look back on fond moments full of love and laughter.