The Squeal

Stars, Stripes, and Everything Nice

More stories from Adison Cummings

See You At The Pole
September 27, 2018

Arkansas High School’s Nancy Huddleston started something new to Arkansas High this November. She decided to make a Veterans Day Assembly a PBL, or Project Based Learning, which is where students create a project over something they are learning and present it to the public. The students were thrilled to be putting on the assembly. Student Gracie Pendergraft said “I think this is the best way to honor our Veterans, especially since they deserve it for the sacrifice they made. Mrs. Huddleston asked her students to create and present poster boards over five pre-chosen wars in which America was involved in. These wars included World War I, World War II, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf, and the Korean War. The best projects were displayed at the Assembly. The day came and the Assembly went great. Many of the students in each of her classes attended the Assembly with their Veteran family members. Also, many faculty members attended such as Mrs. Linville. The ROTC presentation of colors and the retirement helped to bring a sense of Patriotism and seriousness to the Assembly. The Jazz Band serenaded the crowd with a wonderful rendition of the National Anthem and during the moment of silence. Arkansas High Choir sang God Bless America and student Gracie Pendergraft lead us in the Pledge of Allegiance. Student Jada Lloyd led us in a prayer before the assembly started. The Assembly took much work into it and would not have happened as it did without Gracie Pendergraft, Maria Labrada, and Adison Cummings. Maria, one of the decorators said “Even though it was a lot of work, it was worth it to see it on their faces. The joy they had when they walked in and saw the decorations was worth it all.” These students were there to decorate for the assembly and help to make the assembly go very smoothly. Many other students were also involved, and this is what made the assembly so rememberable.