The Student News Site of Arkansas High School

The Squeal

The Pros and Cons of Block Scheduling

Rachel Mullino, Staff

As many of you know, Arkansas High is rumored to be implementing a block schedule for the 2017-2018 school year. A block schedule follows a nontraditional route, so instead of having our normal seven class periods for an hour each a day, we will have A and B days. These days will alternate classes so that we are in a classroom for a longer period of time. This change will bring many benefits for students. However, it may be quite difficult to adjust to. 

PROS-

• As previously mentioned, class time will be longer. Therefore, more will be covered in a single day. Students will have a better understanding of material they are given, along with more time to work individually with the teacher.
  • Students will have more time to work on assignments. This is especially beneficial with those involved with extracurricular activities. For example, if you have math on monday, you most likely will not return to that class until Wednesday. This gives you Monday and Tuesday to complete assignments.
  • Along with a longer amount of time to work on assignments, students will have less homework every week. Considering they will only attend a class every other day, they will not be continuously assigned homework by the same class every single night. This could quite possibly decrease the amount of stress homework is putting on students.
  • Finals schedules will be easier to coordinate. At Arkansas High, we usually only take about four final tests a day. The schedules for these finals change every year, and sometimes every semester, which is very confusing for some of our students. With block scheduling, students can attend their normal class periods during finals testing. They would know where they are going and have enough time to take their tests, without having it explained to them twenty times in a hundred different ways.

CONS-

• Students lose the continuity of their work when on block schedules. This means that since they will not see their teachers every day, questions will have to wait. If your teacher happens to be out for your specific day, these questions may not be answered until the next week.
  • AP classes will fall behind. With AP classes, there is tons of material that has to be fit into such a small school year. When classes are only seen every other day, the material might not be covered in enough time for students to pass AP tests.
  • With longer classes, it is harder to keep the attention of students. The average teenagers attention span is only around 20-50 minutes. So if a class is an hour and a half long, teachers will get little to nothing done while trying to keep the attention of students.
  • Sports or music programs such as football, cheer, band, or choir will not be able to attend in school practice everyday. This results in either longer after school practices, or a group/team that will not succeed in what they are trying to do.
  • Sports teams that leave early in the school day will be missing more class time. An example of this is the football team. On Fridays they may leave one o’clock. Yes, with regular schedules they will miss more class periods, but they will be able to return the same class period monday to catch up on work. With block schedules, they will be missing hours and tons of materials of certain classes. There is a chance they will not even see those teachers until Tuesday of the next week, meaning they will fall even further behind with classes.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Pros and Cons of Block Scheduling”

1. Ricky Cooks on April 6th, 2017 10:14 AM

Here’s a look at what THS does for THEIR schedule! Take a look at our website and get some ideas about what we do.

http://www.tigertimesonline.com/news/2016/05/24/saved-by-the-bell/

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The Pros and Cons of Block Scheduling