The Student News Site of Arkansas High School

The Squeal

Fix Your Eyes

Mica Chesshir, Writer and Editor

A chorus of prayers around the nation were heard in heaven today at 7:30 this morning. If you happened to drive past Arkansas High School at this time, you would have seen a massive group of students in a circle praying together: praying for their school, their families, their friends, and their struggles. This national event is called See You at the Pole which brings students, teachers, and community members together to recognize the power of prayer.

At Arkansas High, the event began with junior Alyssa Smith, a member of the FCS Leadership Team, reading Hebrews 12:2, since the theme this year was Fix Your Eyes. Hebrews 12:2 says, “fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Stasia Nevels, a senior who is also a part of the FCS Leadership Team, led the prayer, thanking God for providing us with “a roof over our heads, food at our tables, and clothes on our backs.” Sophomore, Jada Lloyd, led worship, singing beautifully the song, “Holy Spirit” while playing her guitar. The event ended with everyone breaking off into small groups, each with a FCS student leader. This allowed each person to have the opportunity to pray. In my group each person prayed for the person on their right in addition to whatever else was on their mind.

After interviewing some students and staff, I received a lot of feedback. I asked freshman, Savannah McLaughlin, what she liked about See You at the Pole, and she said that she shought it was really cool “how people get together and pray together”. Her favorite part was when she got to sing along when Jada sang. I also sat down with Jada Lloyd, and she said that she was a little bit nervous, but she loved singing because of the “worship and being able to fellowship with others.” There was also many teachers who attended the event, and one, Coach Foreback, who teaches math at Arkansas High and coaches basketball and track, said that he went to See You at the Pole because he thinks “it is important to show support to the students.” He said, “I believe in living a Christian life and that students should have good role models in their lives.”

See you at the Pole was a success this year at Arkansas High and was a positive way to start off the school day, encouraging the students that the power of prayer can be a light in a dark world.

This article also appears in Four States News.